Emotional Freedom Techniques – more commonly referred to as EFT or tapping – is a branch of energy medicine now described as energy physiology or psychology. It is like acupuncture, except needles aren’t necessary. Instead, you stimulate well established energy meridian points on your body by tapping on them with your fingertips. This approach draws from Eastern philosophies, which have been around for over 5,000 years…even Albert Einstein told us back in the 1920s that everything (including our bodies) is composed of energy.
EFT was originally developed by Gary Craig in the early 1990s, combining ancient Chinese medicine and modern psychology. It’s based on modern scientific research, which acknowledges the connection between the body’s energy system, the emotions, the subconscious mind and how this all plays a powerful role in the overall health and wellbeing of people. The basic principle of EFT is all fears, phobias, negative emotions, diseases etc. are caused by a disruption of the bodies energy system. Research shows that emotional trauma, big or small, kept in and left unhealed over time, contributes greatly to illness and disease.
Clinical trials have demonstrated that using EFT, lightly tapping a variety of acupressure points, you’re able to work on clearing the emotional impact of traumas and memories, which contribute to blockages across your life, from physical symptoms to tangible aspects of life. The resulting positive outcomes open up the way for people to free themselves of their symptoms across all areas of their lives. Basically, once the internal stress is reduced or removed, the body can often rebalance, reharmonise and ultimately heal itself.
The research, which though a relatively new technique, is rather extensive in illustrating that EFT is effective for fears, phobias, anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, negative patterning and self-worth issues, pain, addictions, and many many other issues too. As Gary Craig says, “Try it on everything” because there doesn’t appear to be much which cannot benefit from this simple, easy to use self-help technique.
Further Reading & Resources
- Gary Craig’s website, which is very comprehensive: www.emofree.com
- For links to research & more EFT information: www.eftuniverse.com/research-studies/eft-research
- The Tapping Solution website is also a very user-friendly resource: www.thetappingsolution.com
- Dr Peta Stapleton, Leading EFT Researcher at TEDx Robina: https://goo.gl/HULiwN
- BBC report EFT helping depression in Jan. 2014: https://goo.gl/yFSAEj
- As featured in Oprah Magazine, Feb. 2014: https://goo.gl/9ke2Fv
- BBC report EFT helping anxiety & stress: https://goo.gl/9Q9GfG
- How EFT helped heal a dancer with ME: https://goo.gl/0mEP4u
- Huffington Post publishes various articles on the benefits of EFT: https://goo.gl/usqesf